Thursday, December 6, 2007

4 More Days!


4 more days...that is what any Led Zeppelin fan in the UK (and probably further) are chanting. Unless you've been under a rock for a long time, Led Zeppelin is getting back together for a one-show gig on Monday in London. What's great is that the original lineup, minus the late drummer John Bonham, will be playing the show. I don't think you can possibly beat seeing the combo of Robert Plant and Jimmy Page live..unless of course Pink Floyd decides to play another show.


Why suddenly do they get back together? Well the break up first off wasn't over hostile issues, it was mostly due to John Bonham's death. It's not like Pink Floyd (yes I'm using them again) where Roger Waters and David Gilmour wanted to kill each other. This show though is to pay tribue to the late music producer, Ahmet Ertegun who signed the band back in 1968.

I'm curious about two things. First the set list. Will they play mostly old stuff (come on..everybody would rather hear the old stuff!) or do a mix of both. I'll make my prediction of "Black Dog" being the opener, "Kashmir" being the closer, and "Stairway to Heaven" being the final song for the encore.

I'm also curious to see how they are going to play. These gents average an age of 61 years. That's not young. Page is also playing with a broken finger which I hope doesn't hinder his performance because he is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. Hopefully Robert Plant has some energy to wail out some screams too.

Are they getting back together? Probably not, although the band didn't rule it out. Page is quoted as saying "Let's just do the O2 (on Monday) and we'll see what happens from there. I haven't got a crystal ball here and nor have you." Let's hope I'm wrong and we see a farewell tour in the future (I'd like them to come to the US!).

2 comments:

LeBlanc said...

I would rather they played newer stuff from Physical Grafiti or Presence personally. I would rather they opened with "Rock and Roll", it seems appropriate.

Dave said...

The "Rock and Roll" opener makes sense when considering the lyrics "Been a long time since you rock and rolled". I didn't even think about that when I posted. I said "Black Dog" because I assume they are going to open up with something heavy and rock-ish (although "Rock and Roll" does fit the bill for that). I'd like to hear them personally play mostly from Led Zeppelin IV and Led Zeppelin I although I do like Physical Graffiti.